From:
Shannon Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shannon Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 21:48:16 -0400

Hello,
Thank you to everyone who responded! I'm new at this so I thought that maybe
this was a question that everyone would already know the answer too. I got
so many responses from all over spectrum I still don't have an answer to my
question which was "If a person does not have sensitivities to gluten and
goes on a gluten free diet, would they react to it if they were to eat it
suddenly?"
I was asking because one of my children deffinatly had CD. No he hasn't had
the biopsy done but by process of elimination you could tell that wheat is
the culprit. So  I have put both of my children on the gluten free diet and
they both have had remarkable results. But we weren't "sure" if our other
son was sensitive to gluten. But when he eats it now he has the same
symptoms as his brother. Anyways I will post the emails that summarize the
masses:

-"I think this could happen.    I cut wheat out of my diet when I was
diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  While on vacation a few years later, I
accidentally ate something prepared with wheat.  I ended up having an
anaphylactic reaction - my tongue and throat started to swell shut.  This
reaction had nothing to do with Celiac Disease - it was actually an allergic
reaction to wheat.  Since my body had been purified of wheat, when it was
introduced again it could not tolerate it.
 My doctor now tells me I have celiac disease (which is digestive) AND a
wheat allergy - two separate things.   My point in sharing this is that the
wheat allergy did not arise until after I had eliminated it from my diet."

-"Probably not.  We have a couple in our support group who don't know when
they are reacting, so they have a habit of slipping off the GF diet quite
easily.
But, then I remind them of the damage they may be doing to their small
intestines, and the fact until they are on the GF diet for 5 years they have
an 80% higher chance of contacting cancer than a normal person; then they
are very careful with the GF diet"

-"If one had no sensitivity to gluten, then one could eat gluten without
problem and would not react to it even if they had eliminated it and then
ate it again.
 There are many people who don't realize they react to gluten but if they go
gluten free, and then try to eat gluten again, they have a reaction. I would
bet these people would be positive for antigliadin antibodies if they were
tested through Enterolab for gluten sensitivity and some may actually have CD. "

-"Not unless they had a sensitivity to gluten after all. This is a classic
situation of elimination/challenge. If a person reacts to the food, they
have a sensitivity to it. OR the person has a severely leaky gut, causing
reaction to almost anything (this goes away after gut healing). "

-"Some children are on gluten free diets because that is all there is in
their home with a Celiac parent. They do not have a reaction when they are
introduced to gluten."

-"Yes, a person without gluten sensitivity (as measured by current,
conventional blood tests) will often react to eating gluten after a period
of abstinence. There are several reasons this can happen:
1. Gluten sensitivity (GS) is usually measured by testing IgG antibodies.
This is only one of the five classes of antibodies we have: IgA, IgG, IgM,
IgE, and IgD. A measurable sensitivity might develop in one of the other
classes of antibodies, and would be missed by the current practice of
testing only one.
2. GS can occur in the context of an antibody deficiency. For instance, a
small percentage of celiacs are IgA deficient. IgA antibody tests will fail
to identify GS if the test used to detect it is IgA and the patient is IgA
deficient.
3. Our digestive systems are not well equipped to digest grains. Even
ruminants, such as cattle, have a limited capacity for eating grains. Yet
they are vastly better equipped than we are: They chew their food twice;
they have 4 stomachs; they have long digestive tracts; they use fermentation
as a part of their digestive process and they have digestive enzymes that
can break many more of the bonds between amino acids in grain proteins.
Thus, even with extensive milling and cooking, we remain unable to fully
digest grains because our digestive tracts are not designed/evolved to eat
grains.
4. While we may fail to absorb peptides large enough to incite an immune
reaction, some of the peptides we do absorb from gluten into our bloodstream
have psychoactive properties. Dr. Rodney Ford has some unpublished data
showing improved behavior in children who were not gluten sensitive by
current, conventional testing.
5. For those with metabolic syndrome, the glycemic load of gluten can also
cause problems and reactions.

Off the top of my head, these are all of the situations in which non GS
individuals can react to gluten. "

-"Some people find that happens. It probably means
they were gluten sensitive all along. Actually though,
in one study, it was found that 5 out of 6 people
react to gluten with some sort of inflammation internally (though
not bad enough to be celiac), which means MOST
people react badly to gluten: they just don't know it."

*******
*******