From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 12:14:38 GMT

     Over the past few months, I have collected references to foods or food
ingredients which clearly (or at least commonly) contain either gluten or
casein.  I have given this list to my sons school teachers, and to the
parents of his playmates.

     I thought the readers on this conference might find it useful. I do not
claim to be an expert on why each item on this list is off-limits, but I can
say that each has appeared in a Celiac association newsletter or product
listing (I tried to make it idiot-proof by including every possible
permutation).

     I have added common foods and ingredients with casein and eggs to the
list, since my son is highly allergic to casein (milk protein) and to eggs.

     For those of you who are new to the problem/project of avoiding gluten
and casein, this list may look just awful.  However by careful shopping, one
can often find gluten and casein-free alternatives to most of these items.
Mike Jones has previously posted an email with many mail order sources of
gluten-free foods.  If you missed, it you can search the archives with the
keyword mail and order and you can find it.  Let me know if you need help
with the search commands, and I can forward you a file on how to do it.

     Hopefully, our internet conference can one day have a downloadable file
with the permitted and prohibited food substances on it.  The file could be
regularily updated.  The Canadian Celiac Association publishes a booklet with
many food ingredients covered.  They are in the process of revising it, and I
hope that we can get their permission to publish it on-line once it is
finished.

     To make the list take up fewer lines, I used a word processor to replace
all the return characters with a comma...you can do the reverse, and this
will come out as a single spaced list.

             PROHIBITED OR POSSIBLY PROHIBITED FOODS FOR THOSE
                  ON A GLUTEN, CASEIN AND EGG FREE DIET.

alcohol; annatto color; bagels; barbecue sauce; barley; beer; binders;
biscuits; bouillon; bran; bread; bubble gum; bulgur; burrito; butter-scotch;
cake; cake meal; candy; caramel color; casein; catsup; cereal; cheese;
chewing gum; chocolate; cookies; cottage cheese; couscous; crackers; cream;
cream cheese; croutons; cupcakes; curds; curry powder; dairy; doughnuts;
durum; egg; egg whites; egg yolk; emulsifiers; excipients ; fillers ; flour;
food starch; french toast; french fries (contamination); frozen yogurt;
gliadin; gluten; graham flour; graham crackers; grain alcohol; granola; HPP;
HVP; hydrolyzed plant protein; hydrolyzed veg. protein; ice cream; ice milk;
kamut; lactose; leavening; licorice (usually has wheat); low fat milk;
macaroni; malt; malt flavoring; malted milk; maltodextrins; mayonnaise; milk;
modified food starch; MSG; muesli; muffins; mustard; natural flavor; non fat
milk; non-alcoholic beer; noodles; oats or oatmeal; pancakes; pasta; pastry;
pie; pretzel; rice syrup (barley enzymes); rolled oats; root beer ; rye;
seasoning; semolina; sherbet; shortening; skim milk; sour cream; soy sauce;
spaghetti; spelt; spices; stabilizers; tamari; textured vegetable protein;
toast; tortillas; tostada; triticale; TVP; vegetable gum; vegetable
shortening; vinegar; waffles; wheat; wheat germ; wheat starch; whey; white
pepper; white vinegar; whole wheat; yogurt.