From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 09:38:00 ADT

My son is a 7-year old Celiac, diagnosed a couple of months before his 3rd
birthday.  Now, that is quite a bit older than your daughter, however, I
believe that having a confirmed diagnosis is very important.  Michael had
not one but two biopsies, since the first was inconclusive and the
paediatrician wanted to be sure that Michael was diagnosed correctly.  He
was scheduled to return 6-months later for another biopsy to check the bowel
but this was cancelled because they suspected that he has a latex allergy.
 Since he responded so well to the diet, the paediatrician felt that he was
diagnosed properly.  I must say, however, that all this was completed at a
children's hospital, one of three of the best known children's hospitals in
Canada.  Our paediatrician recommended that we go to the children's hospital
because they know how to perform biopsies on kids as opposed to the
doctors/technicians at the local regional hospital who have little
experience with children.  Michael didn't mind the biopsy and we were glad
to know EXACTLY what was making him so sick.

In terms of palatable recipes for toddlers, please send me your address and
I'll send you copies of a column on Celiac kids that I've been writing for
our local Celiac Association newsletter which has recipes and other tips for
kids.  I'd be happy to send copies out to anyone else on the list who is
interested.

Janet Thomas, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada