From:
Malcolm Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:38:37 -0700

From my summary on 'vanilla and artifical flavors', I have received
several requests for the letter I referred to in the post. I have sent
four e-mail messages to the list mate who shared it to ask for her
approval to do so and all four were returned undelivered. Liz, please
accept my apologies for sharing this without your agreement.

Dear sir/madam,

I am on a gluten-restricted, gliadin-free diet for the treatment of
celiac sprue. In this inherited disorder, the gliadin fracton of the
gluten protein found in wheat, rye, oats and barley damages the lining
of the small intestine. Thus all gliadin-containing foods must be
eliminated from my diet for the remainder of my life.

Although I would like to use your product *insert product name here*,
your ingredient listing does not give adequate information for me to
determine if it would be gluten free. Specifically, I need to know **
        ** Examples would be:
                the source of your 'food starch modified'
                whether your 'soy sauce solids' are derived from wheat
                waht 'natural flavorings' you use in this product
                from what source your 'vegetable gum' is derived
                the source of your 'hydrolized vegetable protein'
                the inactive ingredient used in the medication including
                those used in the coatings and capsules

Another likely source of contamination is in the incidental ingredients
used in packaging and processing of your product. Since these incidental
ingredients are not listed on the packaging, I am relying on your
thoroughness to clarify these substances.

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf!

Sincerely,