From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 11:25:02 -0400

I asked if La Choy Soy sauce is Gluten free.  I received 28 responses. Thank you to all who responded.

  Most of them felt it was safe.  However, there were some people who have had problems. After reading all the responses I have decided not to take a chance, and plan to use Tamari Soy sauce instead.

Excerpts from some of the replies follow:

It is totally ok!!!
I bring a bottle to resturants.

La Choy Soy sauce is gluten free.  I use it regularly with no reaction and I do react to any gluten ingestion

Only the LITE La Choy soy sauce is GF

There have been an number of conflicting posts about LaChoy but I think the current view is that it is not GF.  I recommend SanJ Wheat Free Tamari.

My husband and I read the ingredients as we do for all my food and thought
for sure that La Choy was "safe" to eat ... we used to always marinate our
london broil in soy sauce and it was great!  Did so this time .... last
Friday night I spent my time in the 'lady's room' of our home for nearly 4
hours with terrible cramps, diarrhea, pain, etc. and on Saturday, a migraine
that lasted into the wee hours of Sunday a.m.

I wouldn't want your Mom's Day spoiled, I do have celiac disease and
fibromyalgia - both very bad but the only thing that could have made me sick
was the soy sauce -- everything else I ate was completely gluten free.