From:
Cheri Cowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:39:59 -0500

Thank-you everyone for your answers and concern.  I did switch to liquid
Biaxin and I am feeling much better.

**Many people mentioned finding a compounding pharmacy in my area or calling
Stokes Pharmacy at (800)754-5222,  FAX (609)654-5899.

**Using the liquid form was mentioned as many of capsules and binders used is
where the gluten hides.

**Seven people said that Biaxin was GF or that they did not have a reaction
to it.  It seems that Abbott Labs, both in the USA and Canada, are the sole
manufacturers and they claim it is GF.  In fact all medicines made by Abbott
(according to Ms. Mikert @ (800)441-4987) contain no gluten or any product
derived from wheat, rye, oats or barley.  Three people have had reactions to
Biaxin (probably due to its antibiotic properties rather than gluten.)

**The following products were recomennded as being GF or causing no reaction:
Ilosone  made by Eli Lily  (erythromycin)--this brand only
Ciproflaxin (sp?)
Floxin
C-core(sp?)
Augmentin
Amoxil  made by Smith-Kline Beecham (amoxicillan)
Cipro
Keflex
Tetracycline made by Mylan (800)82MYLAN
Amoxicillan     "      "     "               "
Doxycyline  made by Schein  (800)356-5790
Cotrim  made by Scrips (800)654-0889-manufacturer=Sidmark (201)386-5566

**Get a copy of the CSA Commercial Products listing from CSA/USA  PO Box
31700, Omaha, NE 68131-0700,  cost $8.00.  This includes sample letters.
 Also make sure your pharmacist marks your chart--PRESCRIPTIONS MUST BE
GLUTEN FREE.  Also have your doctor make that note on every prescription.

**Ask for a 1 or 2 day supply of any medication first to see how you react,
or to give you time to call the company.

Thanks again, and if I get any more, different responses, I will post them.

Cheri Cowley
Everett, WA