From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 11:03:42 -0400

Glenda Keyes <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> I am traveling to Portugal again, but visiting an area this visit that
>uses bread/wheat more in their food. Could someone translate a very basic
>statement I could use to make sure my food will be prepared without
>wheat, bread, crackers, etc?

Here are some notes that I worked up before I went to Portugal. I used a
large library dictionary and visited the Portuguese National Tourist
Office a couple times:

Sou celiaco.

Nao posso comer nada que tenha gluten.

Nao devo comer alimentos que contenham:

  farinha
  trigo
  centeio
  cevada
  aveia
  hidrolisada planta proteina
  hidrolisado vegetal proteina
  vinagre

Nenhum pao, papo-secos, ou cereais.

Por favor - Alguma coisa foi frita antes neste oleo? -
            tal como pao ralado?

I had no problems. But, the last item is asking if any breaded item has
been in the frying oil. It tended to confuse them, as they (at least in
the southern part) don't fry anything in oil.

Don Wiss.