From:
Pat McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:31:32 -0800

I had great responses to my query about aphthous ulcers in the mouth
(also known as canker sores).  Here is a summary:

21 = Total responses

 8 = # respondents who had frequent ulcers before going gluten-free and
now rarely if ever get them

 3 = # respondants who still had same frequency/severity of occurences
even after going gf

 5 = # respondants who get ulcers after ingesting gluten (2 said within
1-2 hrs, 2 said within 1-2 days, 1 did not specify timeframe)

Causes mentioned:
============
unknown
stress
tooth problem
sulfa drugs
NSAIDS (non-steroidal   anti-inflammatory drugs such as Vioxx, Feldene, etc.).
toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulfate (NOTE: almost all do - check label)
chocolate
corn pops
monthly hormonal fluctuation
nuts (esp walnuts/filberts)
acidic fruits esp citrus

Treatment Suggestions
================
zinc supplements
Zilactin
Aphthosol
L-Lysine 500mg 1x/day
Acyclovir (known as Zovirax)
prednisone for up to three days
myrrh gum tincture diluted in water
warm salt water gargles
sea salt packed against sore until pain (intense) stops
antibiotics
Magic Mouthwash (made by a pharmacist by Rx: a mixture of liquid antacid,
   liquid Benedryl, and viscous lidocaine)
Acyclovir/Lidocaine puffer
chewable antacid tablets
ice
aspergum
cold alka seltzer swished for a bit then swallowed
ultrasound toothbrush held against spot