From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:55:53 -0500

I just made an old family recipe for a hot water sponge cake today
using Naomi Poe's flour mix.

this is the best GF cake I have ever tasted.   I served it to some
friends who would not believe me that it is gluten free.  I have been
really happy with her flour mix because you substitute it one for one
in all your old gluten containing recipes (with the exception of
yeast breads, those you half the flour, beat for 3 min and only use
one rise.)

You can reach Naomi at [log in to unmask] and can read about
her flour at her blog http://www.xanga.com/ReturntoNormal

Here's the recipe for the cake I made today. I am looking forward to
seeing if it stays as fresh for as long as it does when it contains
gluten (the original recipe stays fresh for up to a week).

Sherene's Hot Water Sponge Cake
======================

3 eggs, separated
1/2 C boiling water
3/4 C sugar
1 C flour
1/2 C vegetable oil (don't use a heavy oil like olive oil. I just use
a sunflower oil)
2 + 1 teaspoons of  baking powder
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 pinches salt
cocoa if making a chocolate cake

   add a pinch of salt to the egg white and until stiff.  set aside.

Now put the yolks and the boiling water into a bowl and beat till
very frothy (it quadruples its volume)

add the sugar and beat until light and creamy

sift flour (and cocoa if you are making a chocolate cake - I don't
know how much cocoa I add as I just eyeball it) add to yolk mix

mix well.

add 2 teaspoons of the Baking powder to the yolk mixture beating
well. fold the other teaspoon of baking powder into the whites

lastly add the vinegar, pinch of salt and vanilla to the yolk
mixture, beating well.

gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture, pour into a greased
cake tin and bake at 350F (180C) for 25min or until the toothpick
comes out clean.

enjoy
Sherene in Norfolk