From:
Jen & Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen & Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:24:00 -0600

This first recepie is the only one that I have tried so far but it was really good.I think that they would have turned out as a better doughnut shape if I had done what one of the other people told me to do is to shape them and freeze them before dropping into the oil. Imay try that next time.
Hi, Go to       www.parentsofallergicchildren.org/doughnuts.htm

I have made them twice and are just like  wheat. I just made them like donut
holes. dropped a  small ladle of the mix into the oil. Gosh !!, I'm telling
you they are so good. you just won't believe. they are the best of the best.

IME most gf biscuit doughs (batter, really) and yeast doughs (ditto) can be
deep fried to make doughnuts.  Fritters are easiest to begin with:  just add
a little chopped fruit (apple, raisin, drained pineapple) to the batter,  &
drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil, then roll in cinnamon sugar when done.

I have made the biscuit-based fritters for yrs.  My DD has multiple food
allergies incl. dairy & egg, so the biscuit fritters are quite basic.

BTW, I never use the gelatin so often called for in GF bread recipes.

The trick to making "donut shaped donuts"  is to pipe out the batter into
circles,  freeze the circles, and then plop the frozen circles into the hot
fat.  Until I learned this method the only GF donuts we had had were from
Kinnikinnick.  I am happy to report that homemade was much better:  fresher
& lighter (KK's donuts are very heavy).  I think my yeasted GF donuts
approach the lightness of conventional cake donuts ... that gives you some
idea.

You can use a lg. plastic bag w/a tip cut out for a disposable piping bag.

I have heard that some people pipe out perfect circles by using a donut-ring
shaped pan (the kind used for "baked" oven donuts).  But I just free-hand it
... some are a little less than perfect circles, but definitely donuts.
Leave quite a bit of "hole" in the center for the dough to expand, & if you
are using yeasted batter, let them rise before freezing.

At Valentine's Day this yr. I made heart-shaped GF chocolate donuts
w/frosting.  I added cocoa pdr & sugar to the dry ingredients of the yeasted
dough.  A TOTAL hit!
 have the best and easiest recipe!  Go to www.celiac.com  Its under recipes- My favorite donuts. The recipe is a Betty Crocker adapted by a Barbara Emch.  I have emailed her and thanked her for the adaptation.
The dough is very sticky to work with but extremely easy and tasty.

Lydia's Donuts

2 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
2 tsp melted butter
nutmeg to taste
pinch of ginger
1 cup sour milk (can use sweet milk with a little bit of vinegar in it)
(You can substitute apple juice with a bit of vinegar for the milk, so I think you could try apple cider as well and you would probably not need the vinegar.)
1 tsp baking soda beaten into the sour milk
2 cups GF flour mix (your choice)
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum

Mix well.  Bake in donut pans at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
If you make this recipe with milk, you can make half the recipe as white donuts and then add 1 oz of melted baking chocolate to the other half.

I have regular size donut pans and they also have mini donut pans.  I spray them with PAM before pouring the batter into them.

Sometimes I frost these with a simple vanilla frosting made of powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk or make a glaze from powdered sugar and milk or sometimes I use the sugar/cinnamon technique mentioned in the next recipe.

Baked Spicy Donuts

1/4 cup softened margarine
6 Tbs sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp GF vanilla
1 1/4 cups GF flour mix
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup milk (you can use soy milk)

Beat margarine until creamy.  Add sugar and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients alternating with the milk.  Spoon into greased mini muffin tins.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.  Melt 1/2 cup butter.  Mix 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.  Roll baked donuts in the melted butter and then the sugar mixture.

Happy GF Donut Making!!!