From:
Michael Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:19:22 -0500

My wife was biopsy diagnosed celiac two years ago and has been on a
strict GF diet since.  Her dermatologist concluded that her skin
problems were DH although no skin biopsy was taken.  Initially the GF
diet was wonderful in reducing her skin reactions.  More recently the
reactions have returned.  Would this be indicative of non-GF items in
her diet or whether the reaction is to iodine from salt?  At this point
my wife has refused to go on Dapsone or sulfides because all of the
clinical indications for her celiac disease prior to diagnosis were
blood based deficiencies.  She is using cortisone salves to limit the
intensity of the outbreaks.

We would appreciate any information or the experience of other celiacs
who have DH as to how long before the system clears the skin eruptions
and how to gauge iodine sensitivity.  Is there any relation between
celiac disease, DH and hypothyroidism?  My wife is on Synthroid - a
synthetic thyroid.

Also does anyone know the relationship between celiac disease, DH and
hormone replacement therapy?

Thanks. Personal replies would be appreciated. Mike