From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:10:51 -0700

Dear List Mates,

I am always on the lookout for a way to make a good tasting bread with both
decent protein and fiber profiles. Interestingly, and quite by accident, we
discovered an unusual flour -- peanut flour -- that is a key ingredient in a
new, higher protein bread. Ours came from Trader Joe's; however, "partially
de-fatted peanut flour" is readily available on the Internet. Online stores
sell both 12% peanut oil and 28% peanut oil peanut flour. Select the 12%
type, and it will be very close to the type Trader Joe sells - maybe even
identical.

How does the bread taste? Not surprisingly it tastes quite a bit like
peanuts but not much like peanut butter or freshly roasted peanuts out of
the shell. I'm not sure I would want to put pastrami on peanut bread, but we
tested it with sharp cheese, butter, cinnamon sugar, and grape jelly, and
all are really terrific. I was a bit concerned that the dough would not rise
well because it was very sticky. However, it did rise nicely, did not suffer
from CO2 "blow-outs" like some bread doughs, and had a lot of oven-spring
that it retained when the bread cooled. (The bread did not fall or shrink
upon cooling.) The resultant texture was very even and smooth. There were
plenty of holes, but the holes were not especially large. Like most GF
breads, peanut bread left overnight needs to be warmed or toasted the next
day to re-achieve texture.

Click here to find out more: http://bit.ly/GF_Bake (equivalent to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking/<http://home.comcast.net/%7Evhdolcourt/gfbaking/>).
The peanut bread can be found under Yeast Breads - Rolls and Small
Breads. Look for the red chevron (>). One question that you may ask: "can
this bread be baked as a loaf instead of rolls?" I don't know yet. More
experimentation is required. It may be that the bread has to be baked as a
flat bread -- either a single large flat bread or a series of free-formed
loaves like Indian naan. This recipe was tested with mini-pie tins resulting
in something like hamburger buns, but a bit smaller in diameter. If you
decide to experiment with peanut flour, please let me know your results.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Vic-Sunnyvale, Ca