From:
Will Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 22:32:30 -0700

> I would like to introduce myself.  I have a 5 year old daughter who is NT
> (neuro-typical or "normal") and a 4 yr. old son w/ Autism.  We have had my
> son on a gluten free/ casein free diet on and off for about 6 - 8 weeks.  I
> say on and off because he was getting some gluten and casein containing
> products when we weren't looking and some (like Ketchup) because we didn't
> know they had gluten (or casein).  I would be interested in lists of easy -

Why did you key in on casein if your son is celiac?  The kind of milk
intolerance associated with celiac disease is lactose intolerance.
The body lacks the lactase enzyme needed to break down milk *sugar*.
The intolerance is not for milk proteins.

I have heard that some people do have allergic reactions to milk
proteins, but this would probably be a totally different condition,
unrelated to celiac disease.

Have you taken your son to an allergist and had them do a skin test
for food allergies?  The tests are not very reliable, and can produce
false positives, but it's at least a basis for doing some dietary
experimentation.  I also found (surprisingly) that my allergist knew a
lot more about dietary issues and how to make my diet comply with
particular restrictions than my gastroenterologist did!  Allergists
are used to dealing with food intolerances of a very wide variety, so I
guess they need to understand dietary restrictions.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: [log in to unmask]