From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 08:43:45 EDT

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Celiac and new to the list; just learning my way around. I have
already called the Tone Spice company and found them helpful, and they even
sent me a list of their gf spices.

Now, I like to eat pork rinds, and am wondering if they are, for sure, gf. (I
love potato chips but I generally avoid them, since I need to be on a lower
carbohydrate diet anyway.) The label says, in large letters, PORK SKINS.
Underneath, Ingredients: Pork Skins with salt added. At the bottom of the
label the only additional information given is: Manufactured by: York Snacks,
York, Pa 17404. No phone # or website or any other information (other than
nutritional breakdown)

Also, I get unsweetened shredded coconut in bags in the health food store.
The label just says, Organic Unsweetened, no SO2 (sulfur dioxide). Can I be
sure this is g/f? I've heard that flour is sometimes used in things like
spices and raisins as an anti-clumping agent.

And one more thing- I live in Ulster County, NY, and would like to find a
local Celiac Support Group or at least a few other individuals I could
communicate with. I went to one group meeting in Westchester, and it is
nearly a  2 1/2 hour drive away. Albany is nearly 2 hours the other
direction. I called the support person in Monticello, and found her very nice
and helpful, but she is a contact person, and there is no support group
there. Any other Celiacs out there in Ulster or Duchess County?

Thanks, Everyone, for any help.

Warmly,
Maddy
in the Hudson Valley, NY