From:
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 11:10:22 EST5EDT

Chris,
     About your son Peter's diet . . . I thought Rice Dream was GF
when I began a GF/CF diet but quickly learned it's not.  There are
traces of barley enzymes in it due to the way rice syrup is processed.
I tried using it as a milk substitute in tea, consuming no more than
8 oz. per day, but I still reacted with irritability, stomach pain,
central nervous system symptoms, etc.
     I learned a way around the problem from several posts to the
list.  They suggested nut milk.  It's easy to make and tastes good.
Just combine 1 cup blanched almonds (or hulled, unsalted sunflower
seeds) with 4 cups water in blender.  Strain before using.  You can
adjust the proportion of nuts to water as you prefer.
    You can get a product called Nutquik made by EnerG foods at most
health foods stores.  It's pre-packaged blanched almonds with recipes
on the box.  Also, the sunflowers are available in bulk at health
food stores and regular grocery stores--far cheaper than almonds.
    Hope Peter feels better and happier soon.
    Jeanne Prine