From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2008 17:13:05 -0400

Here's something I don't think I've ever seen discussed in the nine years I've been reading
the posts on this MB. We all know that GF bread has a different texture which, try as we
might, never quite mimics wheat bread. Okay, it's still pretty tasty for a sandwich or toast.
But why is it that GF bread does not absorb liquids? Every time I make French toast, the
egg mixture rather coats the outside of the bread, but doesn't get INTO it. And today, I
made bread pudding with a rather dense egg bread I made recently (a failure so I froze it in
cubes for this very purpose). The custard cooked up but pretty much sits AROUND the bread
cubes. This despite having the bread sit for an hour in the mixture before baking in hopes
that it might absorb a bit of the liquid. Sigh. Any ideas? Am I the only one who has
stumbled upon this problem? Any great ideas for solving it?

Joy in Arizona