From:
Scott Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:56:48 -0700

Hi Everyone!

I am hoping for some advice from someone on the List who has had a similar
experience. My wife is not a celiac. We ate a dish on Friday night which
consisted of shrimp and squid, which we've had many times before without
problems. She also took a prescribed prenatal vitamin for the first time
right after the dinner. This vitamin had a high amount of Iodine in it,
among other things. She woke up on Saturday morning with a serious looking,
itchy red rash that covered about half of her body. Since she was having no
trouble breathing and seemed fine otherwise she took 50 mg of Benadryl
every 5 hours for the day, and we used Benadryl cream. This helped with the
itching, but the hives/rash seemed to grow. This morning it covered about
85% of her body and we decided to go to the emergency room. They gave her
an injection of Benadryl and a prescription for Pregnazone (steroid). The
doctor said that she may be allergic to iodine, and should have food
allergy tests done. He also said that with her type of reaction that she
does not necessarily need to worry about having a more severe reaction
which would involve difficulty with her breathing. I was surprised by this.
Does anyone know more about this?

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Support Page:
http://www.celiac.com/