From:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 14:12:46 -0500

I had posted a question to the group a while back, but didn’t summarize
since there was only one recent experience there.  However, I just
returned and I would like to let the group know how it went.

We stayed at the El Conquistador Resort in the Las Casitas Villas. It is
in Fajardo (about an hour from San Juan).  The villas have a living
area, dining area and FULL kitchen.  There is a WalMart and a food store
in the same strip mall that is about 10 minutes from the resort.  If you
have a rental car, you can get there on your own, or you can get a car
service to take you there.  There is also a food shopping service that
the hotel operates.  I didn’t do this since they will get whatever brand
they find, and since I needed specific brands, I chose to do the
shopping on my own.  We mostly cooked in our room, and I also brought
the majority of our non-perishable food with us from home in an extra
suitcase…(pasta, cereal, cookies, crackers, bread)  However, the Italian
restaurant in the main hotel called Otello’s was very accommodating, and
very knowledgeable about gluten sensitivities.  We also ate at the café
near the Infinity pool, and the chef cooked our fries in a separate pan
for us, and they had Oscar Meyer hot dogs.  It was a very positive
experience.

Here’s the other response that I got from another member…

My family and I have stayed at the Westin Rio Mar and Paradisus.  Both
of these resorts are all inclusive with several restaurants.  My (now)
15 year old was the only celiac in our group of 18.  I had numerous
communications with both Head Chefs before we traveled and upon arrival
(especially) at the Westin, the chef took me into his office to show me
all the gluten free items he had purchased for my daughter.