From:
Fran Kilmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fran Kilmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:07:14 -0700

Thanks to those who replied to the question regarding Dandy Blend. The consensus is: Leave it alone.  (which of course is what common sense says also.) For those interested in reading more, please see below.

Fran

I love Dandy Blend, but stopped drinking it when I was diagnosed, despite
the dubious disclaimer on the website. Glad you asked this question and
very interested to hear the responses you get!

Gluten does not dissolve in alcohol so this is
ridiculous. Gluten cannot pass through the distillation process but
nothing else can render it harmless. At least that is my understanding.

 I personally would not trust Dandy Blend, and it also doesn't sound very appealing to the taste either!

no, this "pseudo-science" is pure bunk. gluten doesn't "dissolve" in anything, but could easily float along in the water.

(I'll just send a snippet from the longest email. But again, the short answer is that it's best to leave it alone.  Fran)

As
I see it, there are three issues here:

1.
Can gluten particles transfer from the
mash into the liquor;

2.
Will Eliza-Tek’s test find all
gluten present;

3.
Do you want to risk trying this product?

I haven’t heard of either Dandy Blend or Eliza-Tek before,
so I’m not familiar with the science behind their products. I can tell
you from Dandy Blend’s description that some gluten particles could wind
up suspended in the hot water, and hence, in their product, unless there is a
filtering process that they have not mentioned. Particle suspension in water is
how we get the “muddy water” of the Mississippi when so many of its
tributaries carry clear water.