From:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mildred Oberkotter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 09:59:37 -0700

Hey Listmates!
I asked about whether weak ankles is more prevalent with Celiacs than with
the general population.  There seems to be no study done in this area.   I
got several responses -- from both adults and teenagers.    Of particular
interest, most, if not all, the affected ones are female....  Of course,
women tend to respond readily to these questions;  however, I cannot judge
this aspect.

Some said it may be due to neurological and balance issues (I have a
balance problem), weak/poor muscle tone, hereditary, brain ataxia (there's
a study indicating relationship with wheat - see comment below)  It may be
related to uncoordination, loose joints,  Ehler's Danlos Syndrome (inculdes
connective tissue issues - see below for more info),

One thought it's due to very small feet (I have long and narrow feet!).

To remedy this, try ankle exercises and walking to build up ankle muscles
(I walk everyday and do workouts with a trainer twice weekly - I'll make a
special focus on strengtening the ankle muscles), and nutrition (liquid
Calcium Magnesium Citrate).

I'm still receiving responses, so there may be a continuation of this summary.

Here are some comments of interest:
---------------------------
my daughter also has ankle problems and she's 13.  I read somewhere that
Magnesium and Manganese are important for keeping the joints tight so they
"pop out" less often and for keeping off scoliosis, etc.  My daughter has a
very curvy posture, too.  I also give her (and she craves it) liquid
Calcium Magnesium Citrate.  I don't know if it helps but I'm hoping it will
make a difference for her in the future.  She's been GF for 3 years and had
horrible bone pain before as well as anemia among many other things.
---------------------------------
I  tried to ice stake once and that was  enough, it was all done on my
ankles.  I have since learned that it is the same with everyone and I
should have kept on.
----------------------------------
I also have loose joints, which results in weak ankles.  The only benefit
is that arthritis is less likely to be a bother.
--------------------------------------
My 19 year old celiac daughter has the hypermoblie form of the connective
tissue disease known as Ehler's Danlos Syndrome. The geneticist cannot
pinpoint a connection between the two diseases but is reasearching the
case. My daughter looks normal but her joints are way too flexible and
recently her ankles went very lax and she needs to have PT or fusion
surgery won't be far off. Since she is about to start a nurse externship
this summer, with 12 hour shifts, this has been a major concern.
------------------------------------
I am a celiac for 15 years and I have weak ankles.  I have to wear special
arch supports.     My grandmother who was a celiac, had very weak ankles
and had special high top shoes made for herself.

I'm 60 and was diagnosed at age 57.  I have had very weak ankles all my
life.  My granddaughter age 18, is being tested now for celiac.  She has
extremely weak ankles.   I just read an article on a study at NIH regarding
a form of brain ataxia (whatever that is) that they think is caused by
wheat.  It causes uncoordination.  I am the world's most uncoordinated
person.  In school, I was always chosen last.  Not because I was unpopular,
but because I am soooo uncoordinated.