Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:09:04 -0500

I have been following the "malt discussion" with great interest.  In an ideal
world we could monitor antibody levels, check nutrient/vitamin levels, and
have follow up biopsies to see if ingesting "questionable" ingredients has
any effect.  But for those of us in HMOs and other forms of managed care this
is simply not done, no matter how much one wants these tests.  As a celiac
who can't afford to get these tests done and pay for them out of pocket, I
find the safest thing to do is just try to avoid things like malt flavoring.
That kind of follow up data (biopsies, antibodies, etc) would be useful both
personally and for furthering knowledge about celiac disease, but I don't see
it happening on a large scale given the current economic/medical climate.
Sorry for the length of this,
Kate in VA