From:
Sheila Chouinard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheila Chouinard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:48:09 -0700

Thank you to all who responded to my request for eating on Maui and
Waikiki.

Sheila

Original:
We will be traveling to Maui (Lahaina and Kaanapali areas) and
Waikiki in February. Please share any great restaurants or eateries
which you found GF friendly. Suggestions for grocery stores carrying
GF products ie Udi's will also be greatly appreciated!

I live on Oahu. There is a PF Chang's near Ala Moana, a Z's Pizza, and
an Outback Steakhouse. Some of the hotel restaurants will make gf food
if you notify them. In the University area there is a health food
store called "Down to Earth" They do not carry Udis...nobody carries
Udis as far as I know, Oh, there is also a health food store in Ala
Moana Center called "Vim and Vigor" They carry some gf foods. I don't
know of any health food stores in Waikiki. I rarely go to Waikiki.
Waikiki does have McDs, Wendy's, and Burger Kings. Don't eat at any
small mom & pop places because they use lots of shoyu and msg.

Just returned from a trip to Oahu. Closest to Waikiki is a Whole
Foods. Right next door is a "Counter" - because it is Hawaii, they
will serve your burger on lettuce or rice.
See if you go to the Saturday Farmers Market- while many dishes are
prepared with Soy Sauce, you will still find plenty of choices- grab a
few mangoes!
My only word of caution is re soy sauce- I didn't find people that
aware of whether a dish contained it or not- just as we on the
mainland might forget that we had salted something. As always, err on
the side of caution.
Amazon sells packets of GF soy sauce- a good investment!

Last year we spent 5 days in Waikiki and 4 in Hilo on the Big Island.
I had no problem eating in Waikiki. There was an Indian restaurant on
the same street as their Whole Foods plus they have a Safeway where
you can buy some GF stuff. We also ate at "Top of the
World" (wonderful food and great views!). Plus they have lots of
convenience stores (forget their name) on almost every block that
carry things like hard boiled eggs and fruit. There were several hole
in the wall health food stores where I could get a GF sandwich. I'll
try to look up their names.  I took lots of food and didn't eat much
of it.  Just be sure to pack food for the plane!

When we stayed in Maui last year, our best restaurant dining
experiences were at Stella Blue's, Cafe O'Lei, and Mama's Fish House.
All were expensive to very expensive (especially relative to east
coast prices). Mama's Fish House was lovely. Fresh fish is abundant
and very interesting; you'll do well with that.