Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 22:24:26 -0400

I keep hearing many of us whine and complain about the non-cooperation
of many of the manufacturers.

The manufacturers of food products are not out to get Celiacs.  Most of
them are not even aware of what Celiac disease is and what it really means
to be on a gluten-free diet.

The militant attitude many of us present to them is not warranted. We
need to educate them - not harass them.  We need to ask for their help
in obtaining information; and, possibly in the formulation of their
product(s).

In the USA Celiacs are an insignificant number of consumers and we just
don't have the purchasing clout to make DEMANDS.

This is one of many reasons why the University of Maryland's Proposed
serological study to determine the prevalence of Celiac disease is so
important.  If there are Hundred's of Thousands of us - not 20-30,000 as
is presently assumed - we will get the attention of the manufacturers.

As of the update from Kirk Gardner a week or so ago, only approximately
200 of us have made a pledge or contribution to the fundraising effort
for this study.

Please, for all our sakes, make an investment in your own and all of our
futures and Pledge SOMETHING now.

Bob Levy
Baltimore, MD