Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:33:09 -0800

Many thanks to everyone who responded!!  I am very appreciative.

Following are the suggestions I received for San Diego:

This list is from Danna Korn, I don't think she will mind if I share this information with you.

Subject: SD Restaurants

 I understand you'll be visiting San Diego soon! This is something I wrote to someone else on the list recently. I hope this is helpful:

Welcome (soon) to our beautiful city!  You'll love it here unless, of

course, you hate sunshine, gorgeous beaches, the beautiful blue Pacific, and

very friendly people.

As for specific restaurants, I can't say that we have any that are

"guarantee" GF.  But I just put together a list for someone visiting from

Texas, and here's what I told her:

Well, we don't get out much, so it's sort of hard for me to re-create that

list -- but let me try.  Here are some celiac-friendly places in San Diego:

1.  In-n-Out Burgers -- fast-food -- order the "protein-style" burger, which

comes wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.  The sauce is GF, as are fries.

EXCELLENT burgers, even by Texas standards.

2.  Tony Roma's (national chain -- kid-friendly) -- they have a list of

their GF foods.  800/286-7662

3.  Outback Steakhouse (national chain -- kid-friendly) -- they have a list

of GF menu items.  813/282-1225.

4.  Chevy's (regional chain -- kid-friendly) -- they don't have a list of GF

items, but they "get it" when you call and ask.  You need to check each

individual restaurant, though, because they each do things differently.

800/4-chevys

5.  El Pollo Loco (regional chain -- kid-friendly -- fast food, but very

fresh and good) -- most of their items are GF. 949/399-2000

6.  Because of our proximity to the border, you'll find lots of Mexican

restaurants -- the more authentic, the safer (and better), since most

Mexican food is GF (except, of course, flour tortillas, and other obvious

no-no's).  You're usually safe with the shredded chicken or beef in a corn

tortilla, beans, Spanish rice.  Beware of the enchilada sauce, although

usually it's safe too.  The Spanish word for "flour" is "harina" (don't

pronounce the "h") -- the word for wheat is "trigo."  If you say "no harina"

or "no trigo," they usually understand what you mean.

7.  Because of our proximity to the Pacific Ocean, you'll find great seafood

restaurants.  Most restaurants here grill the seafood in a very light

sauce -- usually GF.  You can always request that it be drizzled with butter

and grilled.

(Back to you, Laurie...)  You'll notice that some of those places are

kid-friendly -- you'll especially love In-n-Out Burgers, because you won't

get that stare as though you just asked for worms on your burger (when you

ask for it without the bun).  Protein-style is an accepted term.  (I just

learned that "animal style" means extra onions, lettuce, and tomato -- NONE

OF THESE TERMS ARE ON THEIR MENU!)

I wish I had specific restaurants to recommend, but I don't know of any that

would for sure be safe.  They should all be okay, especially if you stick

with the seafood and burgers for the kids.

I haven't been to the Zoo or Sea World lately, but just happened to call Sea

World this morning -- number is (619)  222-6363.  I would call in advance

and let them know that you're coming, ask about menu items, etc.  We used to

go every Friday when my kids were little, and I would always take food in.

They hate that -- they check bags at the gates -- but I would just say, "he

has a restricted diet and can get deathly ill if he eats something with

gluten in it" and that was enough to scare them into letting me go through

with my goodies.  So you might want to stop at the nearest store and load up

on yogurt, fruit, string cheese, etc. and take it in with you.

While you're in town, you might want to stop at a Trader Joe's or a

Henry's -- both are "healthy" stores (but they're not pricey like most) that

carry a lot of GF foods.  Both are locally owned, and loaded with GF

goodies.  There's also a Whole Foods in La Jolla that sometimes has freshly

baked GF muffins.

Bon voyage!

Danna

Founder, Raising Our Celiac Kids (R.O.C.K.)
Author: "Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children"
Author: "Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living"
www.celiackids.com
National Spokesperson, Celiac Disease Awareness

Part 2 to follow  -   Myrtice Adamson