From:
Stacey Nagel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:55:01 -0500

I apologize for this is a way overdue summary.  I had asked if anyone knew
of a gf jarred chili sauce for a recipe I had.  The recipe is:

Sweet-n-Sour Meatballs
1 1b. ground meat
1 bottle chili sauce
1 small jar of grape jelly (similar recipes substitute Cranberry Sauce or
   Apricot Preserves)
onion powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper
gf bread crumbs (or uncooked rice)
1 egg

I mix the meat with the egg, spices and bread crumbs.  Put raw meatballs
into a pot where the chili sauce and grape jelly is combined and at a
slight boil.  Cover and simmer for one hour.

I thank all the respondents who shared with me homemade chili sauce
recipes.  Since I'm big on convenience and not on cooking, I wasn't
prepared to go that route.

I contacted Heinz who would not guarantee their chili sauce as gf.
Although the rep couldn't tell me what ingredient did have gluten (probably
the source of vinegar, which to some on this list is irrelevant).  I had
checked in the past and was told that Del Monte tomato products in general
were gluten free.  I ended up using Del Monte's Chili Sauce without
reacting (but don't use that as an indicator- it was a personal decision).
Finally, just yesterday, I got a response back from Nestle who imports
Maggi Sweet Chili Sauce.  They confirmed that it is indeed gluten free!
Unfortunately, I can't find it locally.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Stacey
Coral Springs, FL