From:
Michael Fries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:44:11 -0500

Hi everyone,

        I am sorry about not summerizing this all earlier.  I have been
extremely busy with school.  I am a senior in architecture and my thesis is this
semmester.

        Anyway, I got 34 reponses to my inquiry about if quinoa was safe for
celiacs.  30 people wrote back and said that quinoa is gluten free.  It is a
cousin to wheat, but it does not contain the gluten or gladin proteins.  All
of these people agreed that quinoa tastes very good and is high in
nutriental value.

        Four people did reply that they have problems with quinoa (including on
skin condition- DH).

        As to the reasons for this, it is possible some of us might have
reactions to the quinoa itself rather than the reactions being gluten
based.  As for myself, I think 30 people is a good number to believe.  I
am going to give the noodles a try and see how they turn out.  As with
anything in celiac, trying new things needs to be within your comfort
level.  If you are afraid of it, don't try it.  And always, use your own
discretion.  If people want information on specific responses, please
let me know.

Have a good weekend,
Mike