From:
Deborrah C. Szuch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:12:49 -0600

I have had several requests to post this recipe.  I am not the celiac in
the family, and am an avid baker.  These are, by far, the best chocolate
chip cookies I have made for my son - even my gourmet husband couldn't
tell the difference.  I usually get a response from him like, "Pretty
good, but the flour is too gritty."  Not this time!

The recipe is simply the Nestle's Tollhouse Cookie recipe with the
following changes:

For flour, use 2-1/2 cups of what I call the Sweet GF flour mix (below).
Add 1/2 heaping teaspoon of xanthum gum (opt.)

Add one box of Royal Instant Vanilla Pudding & Pie Mix

Sweet GF Flour Mix:  An excellent flour mix to use in all your cookie,
donut, cake, quick bread recipes.  It was posted to the list about a year
ago, and I use if for all my "sweet-type" baking.  The only change I made
is not to add Xanthum gum to the mix, but add it to each individual
recipe.  For anything that's sweet, use this flour as a measure-for-
measure substitute for all purpose flour.  Just remember to add some
xanthum gum (for those who can tolerate it) to the recipe to help it hold
together.  Mix together and then store in Freezer:

4 cups Brown Rice Flour
1-1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour (available from EnerG)
1 cup Tapioca Starch Flour
1 cup Rice Polish (available from EnerG)

Now for the recipe - use only GF ingredients:

2-1/2 cups GF sweet flour mix
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 heaping tsp Xanthum gum (opt.)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup. sugar
3/4 cup. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 package Royal brand vanilla instant pudding & pie mix
1 12-oz. package Nestle's morsels
1 cup nuts (opt.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.  (The recipe calls for 375 degrees,
but I got better results baking at a lower temp.  Experiment!)   There
is no need to refrigerate the dough first.  Let sit on cookie sheet for
a couple of minutes, then transfer to rack to cool.

I put  my cookies in a plastic container and then freeze for storage -
if they last that long.  It only takes a few minutes to defrost.
However, I accidently left some out for a couple of days, and they were
fine.  I honestly think that the pudding & pie mix acts as a binder
substitute for the gluten.  Try adding some to any cookie or cake recipe
and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

Deborrah in IL