From:
MBNorris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:50:16 -0800

My sad experience w/ root canals is that they constitute a long and
expensive goodbye to one's tooth.  Then, after that, they get pulled, and
then comes the bridge.  The bridge, whether removable or fixed, puts a
strain on the anchoring teeth if you have a span of more than one space, so
I was faced with a slow-motion domino effect of the teeth just 'going'.

I put two implants in at the first of the year and, when a third tooth
needed a root canal in November, I didn't hesitate.  If I had gone straight
to implants from the get-go on the other two, I would have save a ton of
money.

HTH.

SC  (of course, you may have stronger teeth than I have)

Each implant is about $3,000 per tooth here in Tucson.  You can get them for less if you’re willing to go to Mexico, but I wasn’t as I wanted someone who would guarantee his work.  The implant itself is only $1,500, but then there’s the post and the crown on top of that.  If you go that route, make sure the guy is experienced.  My regular dentist told me that some dentists just do them w/o training.  The newest technology uses a computer to set the angle of the embedded bolt.

I’d estimate that a fixed bridge for one extracted tooth is about $1,500 or three times the cost of one crown, whichever is more.  The teeth adjacent to the extracted tooth have to be ground down and capped to hold the bridge.

A removable bridge/plate for two teeth is about $1,000.

Yes, I had a root canal and crown.  Then extraction and fixed bridge along with a procedure to lengthen the crown socket by shaving the jaw bone ($1,200 just for that).  Then, that tooth needed a root canal.  Paid for that.  It failed in a few years and I lost the anchor tooth.  Paid for a removable bridge to span two teeth.  It managed to start loosening the anchor tooth, which then needed a crown.  I finally just bit the bullet and did two implants rather than lose another tooth clear at the back of my mouth.

I would have saved money if I had gone straight to an implant.  One dentist drives a Mercedes.  I tell him it’s part mine.

It hurts less than just getting a filling.  Of course, the one where I had the extraction and two bone grafts and implant on the same day hurt more, but no more than just a pulled tooth.  I waited and wasted so much money under the mistaken impression that bacteria could get into the blood stream from the titanium post.  My doctor (MD) said that was false.  You’d get more bacteria from infected roots.  [Now she tells me!]

You have my sympathy, I'm going through the root canal/crown process right now.  When my root canal was done two weeks ago, my dentist had me take amoxicillin for several days as a prophylactic.  I trust his judgment, since he also makes sure I take amoxicillin before every visit where work will be done (I have an occasional heart murmur, which puts me at risk for a myocardial infection).

Be aware that if you are taking bisphosphonates (medications like fosamax for bone building) that there is a rare potential side effect if you get your teeth pulled.  It is called osteonecrosis of the jaw.

I have had a number of root canals and will have another on Wednesday, this week.  First, start with the best dentist who does root canals.  My dentist refers me to another who does only root canals.  He is the best.  He is meticulus and I have never had any problems.

Do it.  Don't lose a tooth, but do it right.
My dentist says that many older people die 10 years younger than they should because their nutrition is so bad.  They don't eat crunchy raw vegetables and fruits anymore.  (He's not even talking about us celiacs.)  It behooves us to take as good of ourselves as we can.

If you are taking a bone building medication, you might want to read more about this on the internet.