From:
steve savitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 00:56:07 -0400

Mixed replys about the GF status of alfalfa grasses:

------------------

Yes, alfalfa grass is gluten free.  they may add something to prevent
caking during processing which might not be gluten free...but alfalfa grass,
root, seeds and sprouts are all gf:)

I take about 10-20 tabs of alfafa per day.  Tons of minerals and
micronutrients.  It's fantatastic for  you.

----------------------

I come from a long line of farmers.

Alfalfa is a nitrogen-fixing legume.

It is not a grain.

--------------------------

Alfalfa is not a grass at all.  It is a broadleaf (dicot) and does not
contain gluten.  A suppliment called "alfalfa grass" might contain all kinds
of things.

---------------------------

Biologically speaking, alfalfa is a legume (ie in the peanut family of
plants) so it is free of gluten, in its natural state.  For example,
alfalfa sprouts should be fine.

--------------------

alfalfa is loaded with mold...it is questionable if it should be eaten
especially if you are blood type O and sensitive to mold...

------------------------

  A very useful link to determine if a plant contains gluten -  refer to
the "Related Plant List":

http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/RelatedPlantList.html

Take heed of the following:

"M. sativa Lucerne, Alfalfa - mainly used as animal fodder, sometimes
eaten as a "health food". Contains a substance which causes auto-
immune disease in humans if eaten in large amounts"

Not such a good idea to consume alfalfa.

------------------------

 From my own experiences with taking Alfalfa for
several years and having NO reaction of ANY kind, even
though I would be the first one to have a set-back!

.....it really DID help their
severe arthritis! Now, they know each and every time
that they go without, or accidently running out.

Alfafa is GF, but, I had some tabs last month that were contaminated.
  After much research, I found they were made in the same tablet press
as wheat germ tabs or something similar.

Steve - NYC