From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 09:55:27 -0400

I started to wonder about the brown sugar I was eating, after reading a post
indicating that Kroger brand DARK brown sugar contains wheat (from the Derby
City Celiac, Summer 1997 issue).

I contacted the Canadian Sugar Institute which speaks for Lantic Sugar,
Rogers Sugar and Redpath Sugars, who product sugar here in Canada. I asked
them whether ingredients derived from wheat, rye, barley, or oats are used
in the production of brown sugar.

I received the following letter from Pierrette Buklis (RD, MHSc) who is the
Director of Nutrition Communications.

"...I contacted Mr. David Clayton, a Technical Manager with Lantic Sugar,
here at the Toronto office. Mr. Clayton reminded me that there is more than
one way to make brown or golden sugars, but he assured me that the processes
used in Canada only involve the products of the sugar cane itself - nothing
which is derived from wheat, rye, barley or oats. "

She included a copy of the relevant sections of the Food and Drug Act
(sections B.18.001 to B.18.010) which state that Brown Sugar, Yellow Sugar
or Golden Sugar "shall be the food obtained from the syrups originating in
the sugar refining process".

As a reminder, according to the Food and Drug Act, Icing Sugar can contain
"not more than 5 per cent starch or an anti-caking agent". If the source of
the starch is not identified on the package, avoid it.

I feel better about eating brown sugar, as long as I am in Canada, but I
have added it to my list of foods to avoid when I travel.

Sue Newell
Waterloo, Ontario

For more information:
   Canadian Sugar Institute