From:
Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 12:09:17 -0400

Mike wrote:

>If you consume basic, uncontaminated food stuffs, you should be very healthy.
>However, it takes time, effort and money to find and prepare basic foods. So we
>use manufactured foods and rely on the manufacturer to keep a pure product.
>Misinformation causes confusion.

It's correct that misinformation causes confusion -- as well as dismay.  So
while we're at it, it might be worth clarifying the statement that "it takes
time, effort and money to find and prepare basic foods."  It doesn't take
that much time to grill some lean chicken or meat, microwave some veggies
and toss together a salad.  And the produce section of any grocery store is
typically well-stocked, so finding safe foods isn't that difficult.

What does make things difficult is insisting on eating the same types of
foods one ate before discovering one has celiac disease.  The reason so many
celiacs seem to use manufactured foods is because there's a reluctance to
give up cookies, baked goods, and sweets.  If that's the case, then it does
take time, effort and money.

On the other hand, basic foods are just that, and not difficult or time
consuming at all to prepare.  I think we do new celiacs an injustice by
making generalized statements about how difficult the GF diet is.  What's
difficult is trying to maintain old eating habits under new requirements.
Change your eating habits from prepared foods, to whole foods that are easy
to prepare -- i.e., eat lean meats and poultry, lightly seasoned and grilled
or baked, a variety of vegetables prepared in a variety of ways (few of
which rely on gluten in any form), rice and other acceptable grains and
fruits, and you'll hardly starve, spend your life in the kitchen or go
broke.

Just a thought...

Terri

A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to
take care of his tools. -Spanish proverb