From:
Janet Kratochvil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:56:00 -0500

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to thank everyone who responed.  I feel alot better about
my upcoming trip.  I printed out all your e-mails so I could memorize the
advice.  I don't go out to eat much ( 3 time in the year and a half I have
had this), so it is nice to hear that so many people do and have success.
Here is what I was told ( I have modified the responses)

1) Look over the menu and decide what looks best to you, then ask questions
explaining that you have a wheat allergy ( I do this, gluten intolerence is
not understood) and the oats, barley, and rye.  Ask if what you have chosen
would be o.k.

2) Keep it simple chicken or steak cooked on its own foil and not
seasoned.  A baked potato, but do not let them cut it.  The knif e they
use could be used to cut bread and not washed.

3) Do not be afraid to ask questions and be polite yet insistent on dietary
needs.  Make sure the chef and wait staff understand.

4) Send food to your hotel ahead of time.

5) There are Trader Joe's and other stores to buy food at in LV.

6) The general consenus was that the buffets are a good bet.  There are
plenty of fruits, vegetables, and seafood to eat.

7) A few people had really good things to say about the Bellagio buffet.
The staff actually took this person around to show them what was safe, with
out being asked.  I am impressed and will go there.

8) It was suggested that I ask for a fruit plate on the plane, because the
airlines don't always get GF right.  Good idea.

All in all it seems that quite a few people have traveled to Vegas and
elsewhere and have been fine.  I think the more we go out with our glute
n free requests, the easier it will get for all of us in the future.
Eventually the restraunts will fully understand our diet.  I am feeling
very optimistic today.  Thank you for all the diabetics who replied, I
feel much better about going through security.  I do travel with mints
(gf) and juice boxes.  Thanks to all  Janet