From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 11:27:09 -0400

In the recent summary on tuna, it was stated:

S> The problem with most canned tuna is that it has HVP (hydrolyzed
S> vegetable protein) that might contain gluten or vegetable broth that
S> also might have gluten in it.

In the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates what can
be added to tuna.  The Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Part 161,
Section 190 deals with canned tuna.  In paragraph (a)(6)(v) it states:

CFR> Vegetable broth in an amount not in excess of 5 percent of the
CFR> volume capacity of the container, such broth to consist of a minimum
CFR> of 0.5 percent by weight of vegetable extractives and to be prepared
CFR> from two or more of the following vegetables: Beans, cabbage, carrots,
CFR> celery, garlic, onions, parsley, peas, potatoes, green bell peppers,
CFR> red bell peppers, spinach, and tomatoes.

So the vegetable broth in canned tuna should be gluten-free.

If hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) has been added to it, then it must
also be declared as an ingredient.  Also, I believe it is now required
that the source be listed for hydrolyzed vegetable protein (wheat, corn,
etc.), so even if the tuna does contain HVP (and many brands don't), you
should be able to judge if it is safe.

You can access the Code of Federal Regulations online at:

   http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/

You can access the search engine at:

   http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html#page1

Or you can look up specific sections (such as the one I sited above) at:

   http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-retrieve.html#page1

In the tuna summary, it was also mentioned.

S> One person mentioned that all tuna has casein in it, which can be a
S> problem for some people.

First, remember that casein (milk protein) is gluten-free and therefore
is not a problem for most celiacs.  Only those celiacs with an additional
sensitivity to casein need be concerned about it.  Second, I could not
find a single reference to casein (milk protein) in the section on canned
tuna.  Finally, if casein is added to canned tuna it would have to be
listed as an ingredient on the label.  I haven't ever seen it listed
myself.

In any case, I think it is fairly clear that the above statement is not
correct; I would venture to guess that most (if not all) canned tuna does
NOT have casein in it.

Remember, this information applies only to products produced and sold in
the United States.

-- Holly, Michigan, USA --