From:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:45:42 -0500

The next meeting of Alamo Celiac, GIG® in Austin is scheduled for 5:30
pm on July 31st at Faith Lutheran Church 6600 Woodrow Ave.

Our meeting will be a pot luck dinner with a presentation from Dr.
Stephen Wangen of Seattle, WA.  He is doing a Texas book tour
presenting his new book, Healthier Without Wheat.  Below this note is
a summary of Dr. Wangen’s book and his bio.

Please bring a something gluten free to share.  Since this is a pot
luck dinner we need main dishes, sides and deserts.  Please be
creative.  I know the kids would love it but we do not want the whole
meal to consist of GF desserts.  It is important that included with
each item is a listing of ingredients.  Some of our members need to
avoid more than just gluten.  If the recipe is either original or has
been changed at least 3 times, please bring the recipe.  We can
publish these recipes in the recipe exchange section of our monthly
newsletter.

If you have any questions about the meeting or need information on the
location, please contact Francie Kelley at [log in to unmask] or
(512) 301-2224.  For more information about Alamo Celiac please visit
our Web site www.alamoceliac.org.

Francie Kelley
Austin Chair
Alamo Celiac, GIG
www.alamoceliac.org

Lecture Synopsis for Healthier Without Wheat:
Dr. Stephen Wangen presents his critically acclaimed 2009 book,
Healthier Without Wheat: A New Understanding of Wheat Allergies,
Celiac Disease, and Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance. Dr. Wangen will
review the process that led to the writing of this book and will cover
the major aspects of Healthier Without Wheat. These include how and
why people react to wheat and to gluten, and the numerous signs and
symptoms (over 200) that are associated with gluten intolerance. Of
major focus will be a discussion on how and why celiac disease only
represents a small fraction of those with gluten intolerance, and why
celiac disease is not necessarily worse than other forms of gluten
intolerance. You will leave with a much better appreciation for the
wide range of issues related to gluten intolerance and an
understanding of how to determine whether or not someone is gluten
intolerant.

Bio:
Dr. Wangen is a licensed and board certified gluten intolerant
physician and the founder and Medical Director of the IBS Treatment
Center (www.IBSTreatmentCenter.com) located in Seattle, WA . He is on
the Board of Trustees of the Gluten Intolerant Group of North America
and lectures nationally on the topic of gluten intolerance. He
published his first book, The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Solution, in
2005.