Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:50:16 -0800

A great big Thank You to everyone who responded. It was VERY helpful.

Many thoughtful folks wrote to give great information.

A summation follows.

Try Neutrogena, I use their other make-up products with no problem.

I use a liquid in a tube from Avon, and have had no problem.  The shadow by
Avon is Beyond Color-Triple Benefit Shadow.  I use mostly Almay products for
my makeup and eye makeup products.  When using eye shadow I stay away from
any of the sparkly colors.  Those are the eye shadows with icy colors that I
would react to and cause problems.  I hope this will help you some with the
eye shadow problem.

Almay and Clinique are gluten free.

Neutrogena - Almay - Oil of Olay are all gluten free.

watch out for Vit E..that's what causes problems in makeup because it is
from wheat germ.  Check the archives...lots of lists there.  I use Lazlo
[very expensive] and lancome mascara...also Color Me Beautiful has been
ok for me.

I use the Shaklee eye shadow and other beauty products with no side effects
what's so ever.

 Since you are obviously not ingesting this stuff, you must be allergic to
something in it and it would be pure coincidence if the allergen were
gluten.

Therefore any advice anyone gave you would be worthless because
allergies are specific to the individual. Your only choices are to keep
trying various products until you luck into one that works or forget
using it altogether.

I like Estee Lauder Wet/dry formula eye shadows.

I learned just recently that I am allergic to my mascara as well as other
cosmetic products. I've changed since to Almay and Physician's line, which
are antiallergic products. I don't have a any reactions any more. I buy it
at Walgreens.

I am allergic to just about anything out there that goes on skin, and
this summer wanted to wear makeup for some job interviews so started
experimenting at rite-aid drug store.  They really do take back makeup
if you react to it, and the local rite-aid never complained or gave me
hassles as I returned the various brands I tried.  I found a surprising
one that I can wear...Maybelline..as long as it's not a reddish or
metalic (frosted) color.  Unfortunately I cannot say the same for their
blush or foundation and have not found a source for that yet.  I got the
job so haven't had the need to continue subjecting my face to rashes.  :)

Puget Sound Consumer Coop  has some "safe" cosmetics in the Gabriel line.  I
just got the mascara and the eyeliner, but they also carry eyeshadow.  These
stores are in Washington State, but I'm sure other health food stores carry
this line.

hmm, the only other eye shadow i use besides bare escentuals is the yves
rocher type. i have been using the powder style not the other type. they
have a 100%  money back guarantee if that helps and can answer your
questions regarding ingredients before you order. their info is at
www.yvesrocherusa.com there is a phone number listed to order via phone,
or you can do it online. my grandmother used them  in the 60's and 70's
and i am personally addicted to their shampoo and soaps!

  you may have to start looking into getting a mortar and pestle and
grinding up your own... sounds out there as far as an idea, but it might
not be as hard as you think to find the natural stuff with the internet
at your hands. motar and pestals are very cheap nowadays too. i got one
for the kitchen actually from a science supply store! this way you know
what you are putting on your eyes... have you tried all the natural food
stores for ultra natural products yet? there may be someone who makes their
own?

I, too, react to eye shadow big time.  I use Este' Lauder line of eye
shadow.  It is more expensive than your average makeup, but worth it to me
because it doesn't bother my eyes at all and it is very nice makeup.

Check the archives.  There have been extensive discussions and lists of
GF cosmetics posted within the last six months.

  I've had to look hard for gf makeup myself.  I get a rash from any gluten
on my skin.

Mary Kay eye shadow is gf, I've been using it for months, and I even wear
contact lenses.

I have a detailed ingredients list from Mary Kay, so if you want more
products,  email me.

 If you want to find a MK rep., there are some online with web pages.

The only eye shadow I can use is prescriptives.  And believe me I
searched my whole life! It is better than clinique or lancome.  And you can
buy just the eye shadow itself and if it doesn't bother you then you can buy
the compact to put it in.

I use Luxiva Lasting Eyecolor by Merle Norman Cosmetics-by phone call, they
said it was gluten free-I also checked the ingredients and could not find
harmful ones in it. I have bad reactions to the gluten in eyeshadow too!