From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:51:15 EDT

As a Jewish woman with a kosher kitchen, and a fellow celiac patient, I feel
obligated to respond whenever I see Jewish dietary words misinterpreted. My
motive is not to explain the religion, but to keep someone from getting sick.

I agree with that it is contradictory for Hebrew National or any other brand
of hot dogs, salami, etc. to say, "no fillers" and then list wheat, or even
soy, but it has nothing to do with being kosher. Kosher has to do with the
animal (listed in the Bible) and how it was killed and prepared, according to
laws having nothing to do with grain.

I also agree that reading labels is key...but it's not enough. We need to
write and call as many food companies as possible, to inquire whether or not
the product is gluten-free...not only to get accurate information, but to
make the companies aware that there is a market for gluten-free products.

I do, however, use Shofar Kosher hotdogs, which contain soy as a filler, not
wheat, but I did not contact Shofar directly. At Passover time, when regular
wheat (other than wheat made into matzah and then used in foods) is
forbidden, Hebrew National products are not made with wheat, and are clearly
labeled as Kosher for Passover. Otherwise, they're not for celiacs, kosher or
otherwise.

(O.K.. I'll get down off my soapbox!) Linda