From:
Colby Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:10:39 -0700

This is a summary of the recipes I received to my request for help feeding my
family since my daughter recently decided to become a vegetarian.  There will
also be a summary of feedback with ideas and suggestions.

*********************************
Back in my hippie days, we used to make a great soybean spread by cooking the
beans until they were just soft, mashing them with garlic, a little mayo, and
maybe something more for flavor. We would make sandwiches with it, layer it in
lasagne, use it as a topping on a casserole.
**********************************
Here's a really yummy veggie recipe - for two as written
but will stretch very easily.

4 green peppers halved and seeded
one small onion rough chopped
x cloves of garlic crushed (x for us is about 5 big ones)
1 tin of plum tomatoes in juice (400 gram tin), chopped
about 4-6 oz of mushrooms rough chopped
2-3 tbs natural yoghurt
salt and pepper.

Boil the peppers for about 3 min.

Fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until
browned slightly, add tomato and cook for another 5 min,
add mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes, take off the
heat and add yoghurt, salt and pepper.

Arrange the pepper shells in an overproof dish and fill
with the mix (any left over can be put on top of the rice
with which we normally serve this) grate a little parmesan
or veggie cheese on top and bake at 200C (400F) for about
15 mins in the oven.

Serve with rice.
A quick and easy recipe I make: I add sauteed sliced not dogs and onions to
pasta sauce.
Some of my favorite GF, dairy free and meat free are:
Lentils cooked just about any way.  Plain as a side dish, cooked until just
done and cooled you can make a salad with chopped tomato, onion, canned
beans, etc. etc. spices, oil and vinegar dressing.  Makes a great soup with
added veggies and spices.
Rice salad is great.  Use cooked rice and canned beans (garbonzo or
kidney), green onion, tomato, bell pepper, whatever you like,  with an
olive oil, lemon juice & spice dressing.
There are thousands of bean dishes.  Bean salads, soups, mashed beans,etc,
*************************************
Basically, it's a zucchini lasagna type dish.  In a rectangular
baking dish place a bit of spaghetti sauce (ready made is fine), then a
layer of zucchini which you have fried with a bit of salt and pepper and
drained on paper towels. The next layer would be Ricotta Cheese, then
Mozzarella cheese, then some more sauce...zucchini, ricotta and mozzarella.
Cook at 350 for 30 minutes.  It's delicious.
However, we do have a few standbys.  The easiest is Taco Night, with corn
taco shells, veg. refried beans, lettuce, salsa, etc. and sometimes
crumbled Boca Burgers (gf and vegetarian).  The second default meal is
steamed veggies and tofu, or a stir-fry over rice.  Third is rice and beans
with hot sauce, usually with some greens.  I like to cook Indian food (lots
of good cookbooks) when I have the energy- it is interesting to roast some
spices in a pan, grind them up, and add them to lentils or veggies.

I haven't tried cooking any of these yet, but they sound delicious.  I have been
roasting alot of veggies in the oven and serving them over rice.  It is very
easy and tasty.  You just lightly coat veggies with olive oil and put them in a
450 degree oven for as long as it takes to cook them how you like them.  Stir
them frequently.  I usually cook carrots and onions for about 45 minutes.

Happy veggie cooking,
Colby Ray
Bellevue, WA