From:
F Winslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F Winslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:31:27 -0800

    Well, I got many responses to my latest two posts
and I am appalled to report that the majority of them
demonstrate why our disease is not taken seriously,
why of the over 2,000,000 estimated celiacs in the US
only 20,000 are diagnosed and why many of us have to
suffer 10-12 years on average before getting
diagnosed!

    Enough of us act like hypochondriac, flake,
earth-mother, tree-hugger types and the entire,
suffering, celiac community gets the medical care that
fits: "Now, now, hon, why don't you go just go home
eat food X for a week while hopping on your left foot,
then eat food Y for 2 weeks while sitting in the lotus
position, then wave a chicken over your head while you
poop in a bag, bring it to the office and we'll hum
together while we watch for the celiac genie to
appear!"

    The last time I checked, fresh fruits, fresh
vegetables, fresh meat, poultry and  fish DO NOT
CONTAIN GLUTEN any more than air and water do! So,
quite naturally, I felt no need to include GF
alternatives for these in my list.

    So, I was quite surprised to get a reply to my
post chastizing me for not including these food items
in my list. Then I got a second one, along the same
lines; I found that irritating! Then I got more
along the same lines and decided it was time to take
action!

  FOODS CONTAINING GLUTEN ARE:

   a) WHEAT, RYE, BARLEY (oats - cross contamination)

   b) Foods that contain derivatives of these grains
      as an ingredient

   c) Foods that contain gluten because of cross-
      contamination in the manufacturing process.

  THAT'S IT! PERIOD!

Regarding testing:

    Last I checked, stool testing is NOT a definitive
test for celiac which is why it has been superceded by
far more accurate tests. There is only one
organization that offers such a test and it
consistently refuses to submit to peer review and
analysis of their protocol. On that basis we should
still be using laetril to treat cancer!

    Finally, assuming the numbers are correct, there
are over 2 million celiacs in the US. That represents
1.5% of the total population. Extrapolating these
numbers to the whole world, that means there may be as
many as 60 million celiacs in the world for whom wheat
is a poison! That leaves another 3 BILLION that are
not celiacs and for the majority of them wheat is the
only thing standing between them and death by
starvation. Let's all be aware of that and be very
mindfull of calling wheat "The poison in the
cupboard".
Wheat has nurtured man and been the underpining of
mostof our civilizations. It's a poison to a few of
us,
so is air to some that have to live in oxygen tents.

Regards ...