Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 19:03:31 -0400

My husband and older daughter have celiac.  I also have a baby daughter, now 4 months old.  My question is:  what I should do re introducing solid foods?  I heard about a recent study that said that kids susceptible to celiac have a slightly decreased risk of developing the disease if they are fed gluten (I suppose in the form of a whole grain hot cereal) between 4 and 6 months of age.  I ran it by my older daughter's GI doctor and he knew of the study and agreed that I should introduce gluten btwn 4 and 6 months of age.  (as an aside: I ate gluten while preganant and have been while nursing b/c I was never advised not to and never thought not to for any reason).  Do any of you know of any research or studies to the contrary?  In other words, is there other info out there that says, for example, I should not introduce glutne at all until the baby can be tested for celiac (when she is a toddler).  I need to make a decision re this soon b/c my baby is already 4 months old.  Thanks!