From:
Rick B Schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 21:57:05 -0500

A big thank you to all who answered my request for a cornbread recipe! I
wanted one without milk and eggs, and was really interested in knowing if
there was such a thing as hot water cornbread.

There were lots of suggestions for egg replacers and milk substitutes,
such as EnerG's egg replacer, and rice and almond milk. One person
suggested I use plain, unflavored  kefir instead of buttermilk, which is
exactly what I ended up doing. Another said to use extra oil to bind it
all together and replace the eggs. That worked well! I created a recipe
with 2 cups of cornmeal, 4 tsps. baking powder (Featherlight GF), 1 tsp.
salt, half cup of corn oil, 1 cup of Lifeway plain kefir. I omitted
sugar, just because I try to do without sugar in my diet. I poured it
into a greased pan and baked it at 425 degrees for 25 minutes. It was
good!!!

I received the following recipe from a sweet listmate who knew I was
hoping for a hot water cornbread, too. I plan on making this next!

CORN  PONES  (hot water corn bread)
1 cup white cornmeal (yellow cornmeal can also be easily used) my mother
used stone ground cornmeal from Texas
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup boiling water
bacon grease for frying---O.K.  don't clog up the arteries  with this bacon
   grease and just use olive oil instead

     Combine the cornmeal and salt in a bowl. Pour in the boiling water and
beat until the mixture is smooth. Shape the mixture into flat pones (these
are oval shapes about the size of your palm). You need approximately  an
inch depth of grease to fry the pones. Fry on both sides until crisp and
golden. Serve with butter or cane syrup. Makes 8 to 12 pones. The amount
depends on how big you make the pones.

Thanks to all who took the time to send their suggestions. Christie in TX