Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:33:12 -0700

Chocolate chip ginger cookies

Mix in a bowl with a wire wisk:

1 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour (or any other gf flour you like)
1/4 cup rice protein powder or 1/4 cup any other gf flour (for baking
it is good to mix gf flours rather than use rice flour alone)
1/2 to 1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom, or to taste
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt

In a mixer beat:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, or 1 cup oil (I like
safflower) or for a lower fat version:
        1/2 cup oil +1/2 cup baby food pears (I use a 4 oz. jar of
organic pears)
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg or 2 egg whites

Beat in flour mixture, then when well combined add:
1/3 to 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, chopped fine
1 + 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I prefer to chop up a gf bar
of bittersweet chocolate)
optional: chopped nuts and raisins

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons (I used a tablespoon) onto a teflon
or coated pan, or butter yours and bake in preheated oven at 350
degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.  (mine took 18
minutes)  Cool on baking sheet 1 minute, then transfer to racks to
cool completely.

Extra notes: The rice protein powder I use is from NutriBiotic and is
labelled vegetarian brown rice. The rice protein powder tastes great
in baking, but terrible as a blender drink. It also adds a nice
consistency to the finished baked goods.  Other than the rice protein
powder, I only use white rice flour for baking because the result is
more predictable and tastes better than brown rice flour, even though
I am aware that brown rice is more nutritious - but give me a break -
I am making cookies and sweet treats afterall. .   The oil + baby
food pears (it could also be applesauce) takes the place of 1 cup (2
sticks) unsalted butter.  The baby food pears, produced better
results than the applesauce.  I cannot taste the pears at all, just
the flavors of the spices.  When I have used applesauce, the taste of
the apples always came through.  I  use baby food pears + oil in all
my baking.

--
Ellen
Oregon, U.S.A.