From:
Diane Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:05:41 -0500

The responses to my Kool-Aid question have finally quit coming in.  I got a
variety of responses about celiacs reacting in some way to artificial
flavors and dyes, including one who only reacted to green items!  I will try
to summarize as briefly as possible:

my son, 4 yrs. old, cannot take any of
those artifically flavored drinks--Tang, Kool-Aid, whatever.  I don't
know if it's the sugar or the dyes, his doctor is baffled...When he used to
drink those powdered
artifical drinks, he'd get diarrhea and stomach cramps.

Check the dye number against the number in other red drinks (eg, Red Dye
#40) and see if it is a certain type that causes problems?

          My three-year-old celiac son reacted to GREEN Kool-Aid on two
          separate occasions. Green is his favourite colour, so that is the
          only Kool-Aid he has ever tried. I have two theories:
          1. Might there be gluten in some food colours and/or in Kool-Aid?
          2. Perhaps the kids are reacting to the colours independently of
          Celiac Disease? He has also reacted to green Skittles, even
          though we are told Skittles are gluten-free.

Possible allergies were mentioned:

Has your daughter been tested for other allergies?
...  Also, I don't understand vomiting to be a CD
reaction, but a toxic reaction.  Do you find vomiting as a response to
gluten ingestion?

(There are a few items my celiac children have reacted to with vomiting and
even fever.  They could possibly be allergic responses.  The oldest was
tested for allergies at 2 1/2 but they can develop at any time so who
knows?)

Several questioned whether this was this real Kool-Aid brand which is
supposed to be gluten free:

My daughter reacts to the 'off named brands' severely...but
NEVER to Kraft Brand Kool-Aid.

When you say Kool-Aid, are you referring to the Kraft brand of Kool-Aid?  I
haven't had that in two years (since going gf) because Kraft was so difficult
to get any ingredient answers from.  However, in the last 2 weeks, someone
posted to the list that they got a mini list of gluten-free items from Kraft
and Kool-Aid (all flavors) was on the list... In the back of my mind, though,
I was thinking that I still didn't trust Kraft since it was so difficult to
get any sort of information from them in the past.

(I tend to agree with this last one, though maybe they are getting better as
a response to our continual questioning of their
products.  We are a bigger market than they knew before.)

One person wrote to me about salicylates:

Cherry is a high salicylate food....Have you checked out Feingold Asso of
America?????
Salicylates are naturally occurring substances in a lot of foods that have
negative effects on a certain percentage of the population.

(I can forward the rest of the reply to my question about salicylates to
anyone interested.  It may be useful information.  I will have to do more
research here.)

And finally, of course my favorite response to "the Kool-Aid question":

Sorry--but as a long time teacher, I MUST ask you why in heaven's name
are you giving your child that junk?  Read the ingredients--the only
natural ingredient is the aluminium foil on the packet.  You're giving
your child artifical colors, flavors and way too much sugar.  PLease
reconsider what you are putting down your child's throat.  Give pure
spring water!

I totally agree that Kool-Aid is a non-nutrient and we don't use it often,
but sometimes you do what you have to do to survive the day.  :-)

Thank you to all the respondents to this question.  It's always good to know
we're not alone in this journey.