From:
maureen Kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:16:11 -0400

I received several requests for the responses to my question about what to look
for in cheese so here is a summary.

The main thing to look for is annatto.  This is used in yellow and orange cheese
for color.  It can contain gluten.  Another questionable ingredient is vegetable
gum which may contain gluten.  It was advised to check with the manufacturedr
about these ingredients.  White cheeses are safer because they would not usually
use annatto.  Shredded cheeses may use wheat as an anti-clumping agent.  One
person thought that hard cheeses were safer than soft.  One person said that
philidelphia cream cheese is gf, but the info.  is over 6 months old.  Thanks
for the replies, I hope this helps!