From:
"Stump, Marion" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stump, Marion
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:05:14 -0400

Forgive me for taking so long to get this summary posted.  Thank you so much to all the helpful people that responded to my question.

Slightly North of Broad - a fantastic restaurant with great food (as are most places in Charleston.)

(My Comment) Note:  I did try this restaurant and gave them my celiac dining card.  They assured me the food I ordered was gluten free. I had the shrimp and grits.  It was not!  I was sick within 2 hrs and for the rest of the night.  We cancelled our trip and came home early.

We ate at A. W. Shucks.  Here I was able to order broiled fish, potato and veggies.  I had the shrimp and grits at Southend Bewery and smokehouse.  The chef assured me they were gluten free and they were fabulous.  We also ate at Blossom.  They were very helpful, but I wasn't too happy with my meal - I had the steak.

For lunches, we ate at some of the smaller diner type restaurants where I was able to get a greek salad.

Sticky Fingers - was in pig heaven eatting wings and ribs

Hanks - worked with you on providing a gf meal - good fish place

Hymans - same as above but did still put the hush puppies on my plate.

Fortunately is was next to the baked sweet potato (which was awesome) that

was wrapped in foil.  The sauce served with the fish was not GF so be sure

to ask if you are not sure.

The webpage is up and running!  Please visit it at

 www.charlestonceliacs.org <outbind://27/www.charlestonceliacs.org>

We have all the usual places like Outback or Ryan's Steakhouse which has a fantastic hot bar but I always get the grilled  chicken breast and fries then the fruit is good, which suits me since I have  diabetes.

We have a whole foods store in Mt Pleasant which is downtown.  Earth fare is a

similar store and we have two of them.

Downtown / Expensive / Lunch or Dinner:

Hominy Grill

Magnolia's

Downtown / Cheaper / Lunch or Dinner:

Sadly, there are not a lot of places that are definitely Celiac Friendly.  I

am sure most would accommodate you as best as possible.

Surrounding Area / Moderately Expensive / Lunch or Dinner

Mustard Seed (James Island and Mount Pleasant)

Dragon Palace (Daniel Island) (not that expensive at all, especially at

lunch).

California Dreaming (West Ashley)

Surrounding Area / Cheaper / Lunch or Dinner

Outback (Mount Pleasant or West Ashley) (only dinner of course)

Smokey Bones (North Charleston).

We had a nice dinner in a restaurant called "slightly up the creek" in

the Sullivan's Island area.  They didn't have a GFmenu, but did have

lots of potentially GF choices on the menu - focused on seafood.  They

had really great gourmet grits.  I normally don't like grits, but they

were done up with all kinds of yummy added veggies, mushrooms, spices,

etc. and were quite good.

We also like a casual restaurant in the downtown area (near the market)

called Pinkney's Café - it's been awhile since I've eaten there, but I

remember friendly waiters who could probably help you find something GF

on the menu.