From:
Cassie Volleyball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cassie Volleyball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 19:28:39 -0800

The following is a summary of suggestions (over 40 people responded) to help treat headaches.

  Many of the suggestions centered around headache prevention (see summary #1 entitled "partial summary re: headaches")

  Treatments included medications (over the counter & prescription), allergy-relief and holistic treatments.

  "There are a lot of "off-label" uses of meds that are prescribed for headaches that may or may not work (its usually prescribed for something else like blood pressure, depression, seizures, etc.--but they've found that some people with headaches respond to it as well). "

3 people said birth control pills were not helpful (even though they regulate female hormones.)

  some RX meds mentioned: Elavil, Topomax, Zomig, a beta blocker, Allegra

"Amerge 2m5 mg 1/2 to 1 tab at onset of HA, may repeat once in 2 to 4 hours if needed. Max 2 tabs/day, limit to 3 days/wk.I use this along with Zofran (which is not GF) so a compounding pharmacist made a gel which I apply to my wrist - prochloroperazine 10 MG/ML - apply 1/2 ML to skin as directed by your physician'"

"OTC drugs can help, but Overuse can lead to tolerance to them, and can also hurt your stomach and cause rebound headaches...my doctor suggests I "alternate" them..."

one person states her husband takes a Tylenol and 2 aspirins & it helps

Try essential oil of lavender or essential oil of peppermint. Rub a drop or two on temples, top of forehead, and back of neck. (Young Living Essential brand suggested)

"I saw a naturopathic doctor that had a Chinese medicine background and said that different regions of the head signifies different parts of the body, for example, most of my headaches were either liver headaches or hormonal, b/c they occurred in two different areas of the head.

  You may want to see an acupuncturist (this was a common suggestion) or someone with a Chinese medicine background."

massage therapy and acupuncture, see a Chiropractor

Migraide by Boiron (homeopathic?)

Try 250 mg of magnesium in the a.m. and 250 mg before bedtime

veratrum alb 30c..2  (from health food store)

  "...sometimes the sinus pressure headaches are from air pressure changes in the weather."

antihistamines help prevent them. " I've found that if I take 1/2 an Actifed at bedtime, I get fewer headaches"

My teen was treated it with antihistamine (drowsy type) at night for two weeks. The migraines stopped after the first week, but we continued with the antihistamine for the two weeks as per doctor's instructions. They haven't recurred.

Get a good air filtration system & saline nose spray can help

Drink lots of water everyday & stay away from sugar & artificial sweeteners.

  ***end of headache treatment summary***