From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 15:58:21 -0400

A couple of recent posts seemed to suggest that we should be
concerned about any distilled vinegar made from a grain and one even
said nobody anywhere should ingest distilled vinegar but rather
should use it for cleaning.

1. I'd be curious where the information about never ingesting
distilled vinegar came from. Distilled vinegar is in many, many
processed foods and as far as I know is not damaging people. I have a
large bottle of it and occasionally use it in recipes or to boil
shrimp. I do prefer the taste of apple cider vinegar, but either can
be ingested.

2. Remember that when questioning distilled vinegar made from grain
(I personally don't question it but I'm not going there), the only
grains about which there is any concern at all are wheat and barley.
The vast majority of distilled vinegar is made from a non-gluten
source (corn for instance) and is ALWAYS safe.

richard