From:
attanash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 22:08:52 -0000

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with
carbohydrates as I am having and if you could recommend a treatment.  I
felt great for the first 3 months after being diagnosed with cd and
beginning a gf diet.  That was this past June, July and August.  My diet
was very, very limited at first as I would get diarrhea from just about
anything (oils, dairy, etc).  I ate a healthy diet of salmon poached in
miso soup, frozen veggies and sweet potatoes.  I felt great - no more
migraines or diarrhea, had lots of energy, my depression was gone.  Life
was great.

In Sept I started adding carbohydrates back into my diet - mostly gf
cake, bread, waffles or pancakes from gf mail-order places or gf recipe
books.  My 2 kids were diagnosed with celiac and I was cooking for them
and tasting the recipes as I went.  I started feeling worse and worse.
My stomach poofed out like I was pregnant and stayed that way.  The
depression returned, I developed severe constipation and I am tired all
the time (again).  But no diarrhea so I don't think it is hidden
glutens.

I found Elaine Gottschall's book Breaking the Vicious Cycle and I
identified my problem with carbohydrates as an overgrowth of intestinal
microbes (yeast, bacteria).  I tried the book's very restrictive
Specific Carbohydrate Diet and felt better and better.  This made sense
to me because when I was so sick (prior to dx) I had a stool test that
said candida albicans were substantially greater than normal and to
consider Candida serology and an assessment for intestinal permeability.
 What are these tests?  Has anyone had them?

Today I challenged the Specific Carbo Diet by eating some of my
daughter's gf birthday cake.  It was Miss Roben's yellow cake mix with
Duncan Hines white frosting (all gluten free and very delicious).  My
daughter is fine but I immediately felt nauseous, had lots of gas and
burps, tummy gurgles and got really tired.  I am sure it is carbs that
bother me and I think it is intestinal yeast also.  Has anyone
successfully treated this condition or taken the candida serology test?
Is the intestinal permeability test a stool test?  Would digestive
enzymes help?  If so, which ones?

Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Liz in Arizona