From:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 18:25:25 -0700

Thanks to everyone who took the time to tell me how their family operated
around this issue when some members of the family had to be GF and others
didn't. It was so helpful for me to hear.

The most common response was that people had two toasters and kept gluten
bread, cereals and pasta in their home. For the pasta they were careful to
use a specific pot for cooking the GF pasta (or vice versa) and a specific
spoon for stirring so that there wasn't cross contamination.

Some homes went a step further and had a cupboard for GF snacks and one for
gluten snacks, particularly when teens were involved.

If people did gluten and GF pancakes they did the GF first and made sure to
clean the pan or griddle completely between the two.

Some allowed gluten initially but did not feel completely better until all
gluten was out out the kitchen.

Others even kept wheat flour in the kitchen, were very careful, and said
they hadn't had a problem.

I'll cut and past some of the responses directly to share.

For us, I think I'll stick with where we are at. I have celiac. My husband
doesn't, my kids who are almost 2yrs and 3 yrs don't as far as I know, and
our roommate does not. Right now we have a loaf of bread, some cereals, and
sometimes I'll get gluten snacks for the kids and require them to eat it at
the table or outside. Oh, and regular beer for the spouse. The 3 yr old
really seems to understand my situation so I'm not certain if we'll allow
more gluten once my toddler is old enough to be more careful of crumbs and
hand washing. Heh, I think the biggest savings we would get would be keeping
a bottle of regular soy sauce for the kids since they love it so, but at
that point that just seems too risky to me.

Thanks again,
cris

------ End of Forwarded Message