From:
Howard Kass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:36:24 -0400

>I am an RD.  I agree that many RDs are not up-to-date on CD....There is a
>free RD referral service through the American Dietetic Association at
>800-877-4653....includes quizzing healthcare professionals about their
>experience before making an appointment with them.
>
>Sandra Fishman, MS, RD

Sandra,

I agree with you 100%.  However, (there goes that word again) I called the
800 number you listed above, and got referrals in my area (within 75 miles
of Cleveland).  I called several of them and they told me that they knew
very little, if anything, about the celiac diet.  They said that they had
expertise in diabetes, cancer, and heart diets but that there really wasn't
much of a call for gluten-free diets.  One didn't even know what gluten
was!  The one I finally ended up with told me that she had several Celiac
patients.  When I met with her she showed me a order form from Energy Foods
and told me I should order several of the things they had to offer (she went
down the list).  She proceeded to suggest that I make some soup with BARLEY
in it and always have it on hand in the freezer!  When I told her that I
could not eat barley she said, "Oh, yea that's right".  She then told me to
write down everything I ate for the next two weeks and then make another
appointment with her.  I got the bill for $50 for the hour visit and I
never returned.  The only good advise that she gave me was to make grilled
cheese sandwiches using corn tortillas.

Before I went to see her I informed her that not only did I have CD but
that I am also a vegetarian.  What I needed from her was some kind of menu
planning.  I told her that through this listserve I knew which foods were
allowed on the  diet and which were not.  What I needed and still do is how
to put things together to make sure that I am getting all the nutrients I
need.  This she did not do.  She did express interest in getting any
information I may have because her information was admittedly old, but she
would again charge me for the time I spent educating her!

I think the  problem lies in the Education of these individuals.  As such,
we need to get to the source of the problem, the schools, and insist that they
teach classes on the celiac diet.  We also need to have classes available
on the diet for continuing education credit.

Cindy

P.S.  I was referred to this particular dietitian by my gastroenterologist.
I thought I asked the right questions and made myself clear as to
what I wanted from her.  Obviously, I did not.

--
Howard J. Kass, CPA                        [log in to unmask]
Cindy Koller-Kass                          Voice: (216)831-4141