From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:11:43 EST

once again thanks to all of you for the responses...seems this is not so
uncommon a problem....here is a list of ideas about the whole issue and some
suggested remedies.....it seems this in not that unusual...

*usuallly gas is from food allergies.....corn is a major allergen and people
can be
allergic to rice.

*If I get too many carbs, my stomach burns, so I eat more protein with my
meals and that helps.

*Some people are just carb-intolerant. However, my situation
seems to be more from grains than other carbs.  I am now not eating any
grains and my body likes this a lot better apparently......if you have
bloating etc, your body is trying to tell you something!.......

* I bloat a lot when eating too many carbs. I have severe reactive
hypoglycemia.It could be the reason for the bloating.Carbs naturally carry
water weight around with them also.If you try an Adkin's type diet,it works
like an antidiuretic.

*All I could ever do to lessen the bloating was to eat less of the offending
food/s...not a lot of fun, but necessary. After more than three years of
frequent bloating, I've been bloat free for several months. I've always kept
a food diary and it helps a lot, but what helps most I think is moderation. I
plan my meals, keep track of fats/carbs/protein and total calories. It's also
the only way to keep my weight problem in check. So I still eat everything I
want. I haven't cut anything out -- I just eat smaller portions. It may help
to eliminate the culprits for a while then introduce them back in later.
I never found anything that helped with the bloating and frequent gas.
Recently I heard that Beano has an ingredient that is suspect for us...!:)

*Do these two grains figure largely in your dietary choices?  It is *very*
common for the damaged guts we deal with to create *new* allergens when
over-exposed to any particular food.  Some on the list mention rotation
diets and I can't recommend this strongly enough.  My children had been off
of gluten for 6 months when they started showing gluten-like symptoms when
we *knew* there was no gluten exposure.  After having them tested for an IgG
panel, there was a whole boatload of new allergens....all of our standard
and usual foodstuff.

*I had the same problem.  I suspected it was the carbs, but think
I have finally nailed it down.  I went on the Atkin's Diet, very low carb,
and the bloating and gas all but stopped.  The diet requires 20 grams of
carb (+/-) and I think what residual bloating or gas I have is still the
result of the those few carbs.  I went down the same trail as you as to
trying everything.  I found the Atkin's Diet really helped.  I am
supplementing with Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin and a couple different
enzyme concoctions.

*I use psyllium husks, KonSyl brand, for all bloating.
It does not give immediate relief, but seems to help.

*Try a psyllium type product.calms me right down.Konsyl or Metamucel seems to
nomalize the bloats..drink lotsa water with it though!

*Yup!  It's a bummer.
Half Ginger Ale, half milk, and sip it.  Not much; 1/4 cup of each or less,
and don't down it just sip it.
And walk.  A lot.

*Such bloating is usually from yeast overgrowth, or from inability
to digest certain elements in the grains (brown rice is NOT easy
to digest!).

*The book "Nourishing Traditions" deals with the second problem --
in our case we gave up brown rice (there is a reason they invented
white rice!). And corn is best if it is made into masa (ala corn tortillas).

The first problem can be dealt with by eating probiotics -- pills, kefir,
or probiotic vegies. They REALLY help your digestion in multiple
ways.

But basically, Americans eat WAY too much starches. A diet with
more fruits and vegies and fewer grains of any type is 1) healthier
2) easier to digest and 3) less likely to make you overweight. Your
gut is not designed for a high-starch diet, no matter what the food
pyramid says.

*.  It sometimes helps me to have the Sleepy Time Tea by Celestial, with
ginger, and little citrus juice for flavor and raw honey.  More than once it
has stopped it, but of course, not always.  Phazyme sometimes helps, and if
that doesn't work I take several little tablets of the homeopathic Veratrum
Album, under the tongue.

*Taking high potency digestive enzymes has helped me a lot in this regard.
These products are readily available at health food stores or in the
nutrition section of your grocery.  Many are GF.  If you haven't try this
approach, I would recoomend it.

*You could start with a huge
daily dose of probiotics.  I take 8 caps daily of the original
Jarro-dophilus by Jarrow.  They are tiny caps and I like them very much.
I am still reacting to a lot of foods even with the caps and other
supplements.  This gut healing is such a slow process(due to probably
both achlorhydria and cd).

*.  Basically, what
I've learned is that my gut is so damaged, my body is not currently able to
digest complex carbohydrates (potatoes, corn, grains).  Many people believe
that a low carb diet for a period of time, along with probiotics and perhaps
even anti-parasite formulas, will help the gut heal, and over time, complex
carbs can be re-introduced.

I know how frustrating it is to feel poorly after eating, even if it's GF!  I

have found great information and support from visiting alternative
practitioners like people who do colon hydrotherapy, osteopaths and/or
acupuncturists.  You might also want to check out Elaine Gotschall's Specific

Carbohydrate Diet-it helped me realize I wasn't crazy, and following her
advice
helped me tremendously.

*Yes, I used to.  Since going to a paleo diet the problem has been solved.

*GF diet wasn't enough.  Low stomach
production,  hypochlorhydria, is what causes this.  I strongly recommend
you read WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD.  He
outlines a protocol for improving gut function.  I used to be totally
intolerant of starches, but since adding stomach acid replacement, I eat
starches at every meal now.  My diet is a lot more interesting now.

*May I recommend a book that *might* offer some answers?  The book is, "The
IBS
Starch-Free Diet" by Carol Sinclair.  Ms. Sinclair discovered that starchy
foods
caused her to experience severe bloating, accompanied by pain.  In her book
she
tells how she discovered the cause of her trouble, and describes the diet
that
she devised to help her keep well.  There also are chapters on the diagnosis
of
IBS, the process of normal digestion, and the structure of starch.  Even if
your
health situation is very different from Ms. Sinclair's, you might find some
of
the information useful.

I believe that the book is out of print.  But, you probably can find a copy
on

www.amazon..com
or
www.abebooks.com
or
www.half.com

*Half Ginger Ale, half milk, and sip it.  Not much; 1/4 cup of each or less,
and don't down it just sip it.
And walk.  A lot.

*Reading the book Going Against the Grain may help.  Good luck.

*I have the same problem and take Super Papaya Plex tablets and they
relieve it in a short time.  They are an enzyme and will not cause any
problems.  They also can be chewed, dissolved in mouth or swallowed with
water.  I get the in the grocery drug counter.